Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Make New Friends, Keep the Old"


A song me and my sister Christal used to sing went "make new friends, keep the old. one is silver and the other is gold"

I think that it is important to maintain this ideal in the world of food as well. In the creative mosh pit that the culinary industry is becoming, one MUST keep in mind the solid foundations that allowed them to get to the point that they can express themselves creatively. everything thing starts with technique. once technique is learned, then you can apply creativity. but first and foremost...you must, must, must have technique. in a world of hyper modern cooking appliances, and texture bending chemicals such as sodium alginate and methyl cellulose, it is easy to get sucked into the gimmick and lose appreciation for the flavor or the ingredient itself. when younger chefs ask me about how to use new age techniques i always ask them the same question "what is NaCl?" if they dont know then i tell them that they have no business learning new techniques if they dont have the basics down. when the cant even identify the proper chemical name for the most prominant ingredient in the kitchen. "Make new friends" (NaCl) "Keep the old" (salt)

4 comments:

  1. the above pictures is two spoons. one contains fresh cooked peas, the other holds a self contained liquid pea sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, I think that you have done a wonderful job on this blog. From one cook to another I can tell that we both share the same passion for food and the way it's prepared. All tho I don't have nearly as much experience as you do when it comes to cooking I do share your passion. I am proud of your accomplishments in the culinary industry.. Keep up the good work. Uncle David

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks uncle david. im glad to have something to share in common with you. besides...you have more experience in the industry then i do in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great blog joe! I love your opening status paragraph and your first picture. I am impressed by your writing style and the love you put into food. I will take your advice on technique! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete